Draggin’ Boating (Warning: Spiritual Content)

Before I go any further, I thought you may want a quick refresher on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow-5.jpg.

Some of you (well, one of you) noted that my first blogs were a little focused on the very mundane topic of food. Crossing roads to get food, finding Tim Horton’s outlets at work, food pictures, etc.

Well, Maslow had it right. But now that Glenn and I have got that figured out, it’s time to move on to...water! Both fresh and salty, but especially the salty kind! It must be the Aquarian birth sign: any time I can get out on the water (lake, river, ocean), I’m in my happy zone. Katara Beach has become my oasis in this desert, for many reasons, not least of which is ... dragon boating!

I’ve now gone out with the Wireless Warriors 6 times, and I’m still loving it. The Warriors (don’t know where the name came from) paddle on Monday and Wednesday evenings and Friday and Saturday mornings. They’re a wonderful, diverse group of people, led by the amazing Sandee, an English teacher at the college. There are many dragon boating squads in Doha, and two led by people at the college. What I like about the Warriors, though, is that it’s non-competitive and Sandee, a cancer survivor, is truly inspiring: she’s tough, funny, and extremely caring. I think I’m the oldest person in the boat when I go out Mondays and Fridays. I’m probably the weakest paddler, and I’m still at the back of the boat, draggin’ the dragon. No problem.

So, here’s the spiritual part. We paddle for a little over an hour and always stop halfway through, sometimes with airplanes flying overhead, sometimes with jet skis whirling around us, sometimes in relative peace and quiet, this morning on water smooth as glass. Sandee has us take a moment to think about our own good health and also to send healing thoughts to someone we know who is having a tough time.

Friends and family, I hope you can feel those blessings coming your way, particularly those of you who are going through some really rough times. Glenn and I feel extremely fortunate to be having this adventure and to have the privilege of good health and energy. But our thoughts are with you, and we miss you all. Now, here, enjoy some pictures of dragon boating...and more food of course.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home (def. the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household)

Petra Etcetra

The Where Do I Start Blog